Saturday, September 13, 2014

LASIK Eye Surgery Recap

So as I mentioned before, I had LASIK eye surgery- & as the title says this is going to be a recap. 

First thing when you get there they check all your vitals, because it is a surgery & that's kind of necessary. Then they take you in a nice waiting room for surgical patients only & give you a Valium. I have a very low tolerance to narcotic drugs & recommended they only give me half of the 10mg pill, so technically I took 5mg (and I'd like to say if I would have taken 10mg it would've knocked me out). Then you sit in your little room for about forty-five minutes waiting for your meds to kick in, real good. During that time you put on a lovely hair cap & they mark which eye or eyes will be receiving the procedure.
After waiting, they call you back & the doctor & all his assistants are waiting for you. You lay on a chair kind of like you would at the dentist & he gets started. 
I'm not going to go into all the gorey (is that even a word?) details about what they actually do- but I will say it's almost painless- you will feel a slight pinch but that's it. They repeat on the other eye & then boom- in less than twenty minutes your eyes are done!
After the surgery you sit in another room while the doctor does another surgery then comes in to see how your eyes look. They give you a gorgeous (not) pair of goggles to wear home & overnight & send you out the door. 

My eyes were extremely sensitive to light after the procedure, they give you sunglasses to wear over your goggles but that wasn't enough for me- so I basically rode home with a blanket over my head. I felt o.k. until the medicine started to wear off then that was when my eyes felt all itchy & they hurt to open them (I guess because of the light). It literally felt like someone held my eyes open, threw in a handful of sand- then told me not to rub them. It was really uncomfortable, not painful, just uncomfortable. Thankfully, they gave me some medicine to take home & my mom gave me one of those. It knocked me out for a few hours & when I woke up I could see!

The procedure was super easy & I definitely recommend it to any long-term glasses/contact wearers out there. I am so happy with my results. I do have dry eyes sometimes, but I use Refresh Lubricating Eye Drops- Preservative Free, please make sure you get the preservative free ones- they are so much better for your eyes!
I still haven't gotten used to not wearing my glasses. I know I can see, but I still think- "Where are my glasses?", "I need to put my glasses on." It's hard to get adjusted to- but it's slowly happening! Again, I am super pleased with my results- I can see 20/15, glasses & contact free! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment